At Monarch Center for Autism, we have more than ten years of experience offering children on the autism spectrum opportunities to participate in extracurricular activities with typical peers, supported by special accommodations that promote learning, fun and success in a safe and positive environment.
We are thrilled to launch Monarch's "Club M," which delivers our most popular classes and events on a seasonal basis. Membership is free and automatically assigned when someone registers for a class. Members are eligible to receive special benefits including:
- Laminated membership cards with lanyards, that should be worn to all classes
- Discounts for individuals who enroll in multiple classes during a season
- 50% discount for siblings of individuals who enroll in a class with the individual (must meet age requirements)
- Free movie passes
- Opportunities to "treasure hunt" in our sensory treasure chest
- Priority scheduling for birthday parties
- Invitations to special events
Our state-of-the-art facility is designed to appease the sensory needs of children on the autism spectrum. A soft color palette, gentle up-lighting, extra sound proofing, odorless paint and carpet, special sensory rooms, and an abudance of natural sunlight, contribute to the calming environment.
- East Side: Monarch School (22001 Fairmount Boulevard, Shaker Heights, Ohio 44118)
- West Side: Beth Israel The West Temple (14308 Triskett Road, Cleveland, Ohio 44111)
At Monarch, we believe the most effective way to teach children on the autism spectrum is to combine explicit language instruction with visual supports. Classes vary by season, but typically include the following themes:
- Art Therapy
- Social Skills
Family Day Events
- Several times a year Monarch hosts events for individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders and their families (caregivers, siblings, extended family and friends), which promote creativity, social skills, positive learning, sensory integration, and family fun. Sample events include "Hands on Pottery," "Puppet Making" and "Kite Making."
- Allow Monarch to host a birthday party for your child, which is customized to meet his or her strengths and interests. Numerous party themes are available including "Sensory Fun," "Young Rembrandt," "Junior Chefs," and "Sing, Dance & Be Merry." All parties are facilitated by professionally trained specialists at Monarch School, and include customized visual supports, sensory goody bags, and GFCF food options.
- Periodically Monarch offers movie viewing experiences (without trailers and ads) that are specially adapted for lights and sound. They take place at Solon Cinemas (6185 Enterprise Parkway, Solon, Ohio 44139) and tickets cost $5.50 each.
- Professionally trained specialists including art therapists, award-winning drama instructors, intervention specialists, and others from Monarch School facilitate all activities. Not only do they have tremendous experience working with children on the autism spectrum, but they are energetic, enthusiastic and compassionate. The number of facilitators varies depending on the activity.
- Participants are grouped by age for most activities, and age ranges vary by activity. Intake procedures are required for new child participants. Minimum enrollment is required for all activities. Parents/caregivers must remain in the building for all activities.
- Prices vary by activity. For details, please visit our Upcoming Events.
- Please visit our Upcoming Events to learn more and register for upcoming activities